Lip treatments continue to be one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the beauty industry. Like our skin, the appearance of our lips can change dramatically as we age losing definition, fullness and tone. Lip Blushing is a semi-permanent makeup technique that can help to alleviate these concerns. Lip Blushing is a safe and simple cosmetic tattooing procedure that can completely transform the appearance of thin or uneven lips. Once healed, lips have an even, natural and healthy appearance with long lasting results.
Lip Blushing offers an alternative to traditional lip fillers and can also be used in conjunction with lip fillers to both define the lip and enhance lip colour.
Prior to your lip blushing appointment, it is important that you follow these pre-treatment guidelines to ensure your skin is in the best possible condition prior to your appointment and to make sure your treatment is successful;
- NO skincare product containing retinol, AHA, vitamins A, C and E agents for 1-2 weeks before treatment
- NO cosmetic injections on or around your lips areas for at least 2 weeks before treatment
- 1 week before your lip tattoo appointment, speak with your GP or Pharmacist and ask for a dose of antiviral tablets such as Valtrex, even if you have never had a cold sore outbreak. This is to minimise any risk of an outbreak. Be sure to take your tablet daily leading up to the appointment and 3 days after.
- 1 week before the appointment, apply lip balm daily and scrub your lips with an exfoliant twice a week.
- Avoid intense sunlight and especially any sunburn for at least three days before the procedure. It is important that your skin is not in the process of healing prior to your treatment.
- Do not exercise on the day of the procedure as the increased body heat will expand your pores.
- Do not consume coffee or any other caffeinated beverages for 24 hours prior to your procedure.
- Do not take Fish oil, Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E and/or Ibuprofen, omega-3, unless medically necessary for 48-72 hours prior to the procedure. (Tylenol or acetaminophen is okay!)
- Do not drink alcohol 24 hours before or after the procedure.
- Wash your hair the day before your procedure.
- Make sure you bring along any inspiration photos to show your artist.
Once you arrive for your procedure, an anaesthetic will be applied to the lips and you will then join the artist in the consultation and design process to create your perfect lips. Make sure you have any photos you might like to use as inspiration! Your procedure will then begin using only high quality equipment. All needles are single use and come individually packaged to ensure the highest standards of hygiene and safety.
After your procedure, your lips will take time to heal and recover. For the first 7-8 days following Lip Blushing, the colour will appear more pigmented. The colour will then fade as the lips heal and then reappear after 3-6 weeks. During the healing process it is important that you keep your lips moist using Bepanthen cream. It is recommended that makeup is not applied to the area for 7-10 days after the procedure. Adhering to the following Aftercare routine will ensure your lips heal well and give you the best possible result.
- Avoid all caffeinated and alcoholic drinks for 24 hours after your treatment.
- Continue to take your anti-viral medication as given by your GP or Pharmacist.
- On the day of your treatment very gently & firmly blot your lips with a dry, clean tissue every 15-30 minutes until bed time, apply care cream given. You may ice them with ice in a clean freezer bag if they are still tender.
- Days 1-5 – NO exercise or activities that involve excessive sweating.
- For two weeks following your treatment;
○ NO skincare or makeup directly on your lips
○ Sleep on your back (not your stomach or side) and use a clean pillow case each night.
○ Drink a glass of orange juice daily – this is important to promote better headled colours for your lips.
○ NO seafood such as prawns, lobster or oysters.
○ Avoid any foods that are dark in colour such as red wine and coffee.
○ Gently dab your lips with a warm, wet cotton round twice a day, then blot with a clean tissue and apply your care cream.
○ When showering, ensure the water is not too hot as this will open your pores and drain the pigment.
○ Avoid skincare products containing retinol, AHA, Vitamins A, C and E agents.
- After the initial two weeks, gently wash your lips twice daily and apply cream if needed.
- DO NOT pick, pull, scratch your lips at all. Allow the scabs to form and fall off naturally
- If they get too dry, stretched, or itchy, continue to apply the care cream satchel provided
- Be sure to book in your touch up session